Sunday, December 12, 2010

Paprika Chicken with Sweet Potatoes

Another Almost Turkish recipe.....
Here is the recipe I started with :}

I made this recipe just the way it says to the first time. It was good, but I had to fiddle ;} I dont like oven bags...I like pans! heehee
 
I love my pink colander <3

 
My favorite knife!

mmmm onion! /weeps

There was very little lemon juice left in the bottle and I had no lemons, so I added some water. Had about a half cup of liquid. Poured that over the thighs in a big bowl. Threw on some salt and pepper, lots of paprika and some fresh, minced garlic. Stirred it up and left it in the frige for an hour.
Yea...looks yummy...NOT!

 Mushrooms may be the prettiest things I ever eat ^^

Yep...they are  /NOMS

I had a sweet potato in the frige and decided that would work in it because we had no other taters. I sliced that up, peeled, and put it in the bottom of the pan. I also cut up an onion cause I likes dem. And tossed in the last of my mushrooms, whole.
orangey!

I really really really like this picture...

Then I laid out the thighs on top of all that and poured on the marinade. I put more paprika on the tops of the thighs (I like it!) and a little coarse salt over the whole thing.
All ready for cooking :}


I covered the pan and cooked it for um....40 minutes? on 350. Then took the top off for about 20 minutes to get the skin nice and crunchy.

Absolutely fabulous......


-------------------------------------------------------------------

6 chicken thighs
1 sweet potato (or more, if you like), sliced, peeled
1 onion, chopped
some mushrooms (as many/few as you like), whole
1/4c lemons juice
1/4c water
3 tbs paprika
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 large clove garlic, minced
more paprika
little salt (or celery salt)

put chicken in a big bowl, cover with lemon and water, add paprika, salt, pepper, garlic. stir. let marinade in fridge for an hour.

in a large, deep oven pan, place sliced potatoes, onion and mudrooms in a single layer (each) on the bottom. Place the chicken on top. pour the marinade over the top. sprinkle the top of the chicken with more paprika and a little salt. cover.

bake at 350 for about 40 mins (till chicken is cooked and potatoes are soft). then uncover and cook for another 20 minutes.

eat!!

------------------

EDIT

Ive made this thing about 30 times now and i vary it loads and it still comes out good. The one thing that you really need to do, though, is make sure that at no time does the liquid in the bottom of the dish touched the chicken. It will make the chicken in to a horrible gummy texture that is just the worst! So watch the level! Make it real low, the veggies wont burn, theyll roast nicely.

Also, sometimes I add a little olive oil or butter if im feeling like a little more heaviness. It makes everything more moist (I just dribble a bit on the chicken after everything is in the pan, before the paprika get sprinkled on).

The cooking time is very flexible. Ive gone and forgotten the thing cooking for ages! The covered cooking time...well, Ive forgotten it and it cooked for over an hour that way. And Ive forgotten it uncovered for several hours, too. Youd think that would make it all dry and bad, but it didnt. the skin and everything keeps it nice. I almost always use my big toaster oven to cook it, too!

I made it once with beer instead of water and lemon juice because I had none. Was totally different, but tasty!

To keep the skins nice and crunchy after you take it out of the oven - place all your thighs on a plate and carefully remove the skins and place them on a separate plate. Cover the thighs with plastic wrap or foil to keep them warm. After everything is ready to serve, place the skins back on the thighs JUST before serving. They will be cool, but wicked tasty and crunchy! OMG NOMS!

2 comments: