Monday, August 29, 2011

Booger Pillows

Booger Pillows? Whats that you ask? Its Portuguese Fried Bread ;}} While making these for the first time my 3 year old daughter thought, while I was shaping them in to little squares, they looked like pillows. And then the dough was sooo gooey and sticky we giggled about it being like boogers. So now these little yums are called Booger Pillows! <3

I think this recipe is very forgiving because they turned out SO good even though I didnt know where my measuring spoons were so I guessed at the amounts.We used a recipe we found here. Weve made it twice now and I have many ideas for variations! But here is the basic recipe -

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons white sugar
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 1 quart vegetable oil for frying

Directions

  1. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Add milk, and mix well. Divide dough into balls. Pat out on a flat, floured surface to 1/2 inch thick.
  2. Fry in 1/2 inch hot oil, browning both sides. Serve warm.



Mad liked them with powdered suger on hers, I like mine with butter. The bread is VERY good with tuna! I think I will use this recipe if Im out of bread sometime! :}

The second time we made them I experimented with shapes. I made one big, flat one to use as a sandwich later and I made a whole bunch of tiny nuggets. Grape sized. Mad still prefered hers with pwdered sugar, but I was craving lemons so I made a lemon glaze for mine.

---------------

Booger Nuggets ;}

Use the recipe above, but roll the dough in to bite sized bits, balls and blobs. Dip in to the glaze when done or roll them in it or arrange on a plate and dribble the glaze on them all. Or just put a bunch of nuggets in a bowl with gobs of glaze and eat them with a big spoon!

Lemon Glaze -

powdered sugar
butter
lemon juice

mix about a cup of sugar with about 2 tbs softened butter and then add some lemon juice till u get something yummy and dribbly.


1 comment:

  1. Those look absolutely scrumptious!!! I am soooo making those with the lil man in my life! <3 I'm so excited! I may go make some right now!

    ReplyDelete